Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The Corona Chronicles entry #2

 Day #9

I feel like I could write all day about what is happening. It's surreal in a way. I haven't mentioned on here yet that we lost our big black lab Cody back in January. He lived to a nice old age and his health declined to the point that his quality of life was not good. We made the tough decision to put him to sleep on January 21st. Ever since then it's been so quiet around here. The two boston terriers have been pretty mellow, perhaps they are not in their puppy phase anymore (they will be 4 this summer). I started taking peeks at craigslist pet page looking for puppies. I didn't have a good idea of what I wanted, I just knew I didn't want another boston right now (two is plenty!). I wanted more of a laid back breed, perhaps a mutt kind of like Chance. I didn't want a big dog as they do a number on hardwood floors. So one day I found a litter of pups that just called my name. One little guy in particular reminded me so much of Chance that I contacted the owner and scheduled a time to drive the 7 hours round trip to pick him up.


Little Cooper (he's often referred to as Mini Cooper) is such a doll. He was 7 weeks old when we got him and he'll be 3 months old March 27th. He's half shih tzu (his dad) and half border collie (mom). He's long with short legs and giant paws. The vet said he'll be interested to see what he looks like when he's grown. He's brought out the "puppy" in the two boston terriers. He and Winston will play for hours, chewing on each other and racing around the house. Beanie has done a good job of teaching him what is and isn't allowed.

I'm thankful that we have him right now. He's such a joy and brings a smile to our faces with his silly antics. I kid that I'm too busy cleaning up urine to worry about much else that's going on in the world. I figure if we are all sheltering in place what better time to have a puppy? I wish everyone would consider this and clean out the shelters. Instead many people are panicking and dropping their pets off at shelters because of the unknown. Can pets contract the virus? No. But it doesn't stop people from worrying.

The pup has been on a certain puppy food that he's been doing well on. It's only sold at Petsmart (it's their brand of puppy food). I'm supposed to keep him on it for the first year of life. I went to buy a large bag to get us through and the shelves are bare. Everyone is buying loads of extra dog food (pet food in general). I had to go home and order a bag online, pay for it and have it shipped to the store for pick up.

It's one thing to have enough food to feed your family for a month or longer, but to keep your pets fed too is another story.  In our case having enough extra pet food to feed the goats, horses, chickens, guinea pigs, rabbit, cockatiels and cats takes planning! We have plenty of hay and the grass is greening up so that's good.

This could have easily happened in January which would have been, in my opinion, a hundred times worse. Going outside and soaking up the warm sun, jumping on the trampoline, going for a jog or planting a garden is food for the soul. Something we all need.

Take care.




No comments: