Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Corona Chronicles entry #4

Day #11

Yesterday was a good day. I kept the tv off. I didn't get online but twice. I put on my boots and went and tilled up the earth to prepare to plant a big box of strawberry crowns that showed up a few days ago. I forgot I even ordered them back in February. They were to ship when it was time to plant them. I was happy to see them on the porch! What a great time to grow fresh food in my back yard.

I'm planning a giant vegetable and flower garden this year. The kids will be involved in every step so they learn the value of growing their own food. We haven't grown a large garden in years because they do take a lot of work and are difficult to leave for summer vacation. We figure this year would be a good year for one since we haven't planned a vacation and aren't sure we are even going to take one. 

 I'm trying to not talk about what is happening in our world with my kids. They are fully aware but I don't get too deep into it. They are 10 and 12 years old and old enough to know and understand but they don't need to worry. They need to be kids and not be burdened with major problems. After the teacher parade the other day I noticed Greta was withdrawn. I asked her what was wrong and she said nothing and went to her room with tears in her eyes. I went and laid down next to her and we chatted. She wouldn't fully open up but I understood her tears and sadness. We all feel that way off and on. It was fun to see the teachers but it also made it all the more real...and sad.

 Keeping the kids busy has also been important. I'm trying to come up with fun things to keep them learning and happy. They collected snails out of the koi pond and wanted to set up a small aquarium that they could keep them in. So now we have an aquarium full of snails in Greta's room. I spent a large part of my childhood crouched next to a pond fishing out snails so it brought back memories. I told them to go search for snail eggs in a slimy mass. Sure enough after 10 minutes Greta comes running up to me with a leaf full of slimy snail eggs (that is also now in the aquarium so we can watch them emerge).





1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

It's hard for all of us, but especially the kids. Glad they have you there for them. You're an amazing woman, Mandy!