Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Corona Chronicles entry #3

Day #10

It's difficult to not look at the news all day. I find myself wandering over to the computer and sitting down to just see if anything new is being reported. There is new information coming out about the coronavirus hourly. It can be all consuming. Then it leads to more worry and the cycle continues. I've decided I needed to stop the random internet searches. I don't turn on the tv in the morning anymore to watch the Today Show with all the news anchors broadcasting from their houses. It just isn't healthy for me.

I decided I needed a different sort of outlet. You'd think sculpting would be that but I just can't get motivated to return to my job just yet. I'll get there. I think once we figure out online learning for the kids I'll feel good about going to a quiet room and sculpting. I've got a list of orders, I can only assume they still want their dogs sculpted. In these strange financial times I can see buying sculptures being pretty low on the list of necessities. So instead of looking at the news for hours on end I've decided to start playing video games. It's a great way to distract your mind. There was a game that I'd been wanting to play for awhile but it needed a second player. So Wesley and I have been playing this Playstation 3 game for a couple of weeks off and on. It's a "capture the flag" style game and it's done a fabulous job of keeping my mind off of the happenings in the world. And it's a great way to spend time with my son!

We've been trying to focus on the good things that are going on rather than the bad. Yesterday we drove into town, parked and stood on the corner and watched all the teachers in the elementary school drive by and wave to all the kids. It was a teacher parade meant to raise the spirits of the kids and parents and it did just that. It all made me get choked up. Not sure why, but my emotions are all over the place so I'm blaming that. I read the following today and it raised my spirits and I hope it does yours too.

My heart is heavy... but my infamous saying is Everything happens for a reason and only a season ... so here we are and yet...
The reports are that... the truckers are getting supplies to the stores.
People are stocking the shelves all night and letting old people shop first.
Carnival Cruise line told Trump “We can match those big Navy Hospital ships with some fully staffed cruise ships”
GM said hold our cars and watch this; we can make those ventilators where we were making cars starting next week.
Clothing companies and individuals are making homemade masks for the medical community.
Restaurants and schools said, We’ve got kitchens and staff; we can feed kids.”
Churches are holding on-line services and taking care of their members and community.
NBA basketball players said, “Hold our basketballs while we write checks to pay the arena staff.”
Construction companies said, “Here are some masks for the medical staff and doctors”.
Breweries are making sanitizer out of the left-over ingredients.
Neighbors are encouraging each other by putting up signs, decorating windows for scavenger hunts, singing together and playing music for each other.
It’s only a short season of life.. press on. Love your people and never stop having Faith. 
I’m here for anyone, for anything! I’m thankful we can come together as one. 
We have a wonderful country and an amazing God.

No comments: