Monday, October 3, 2016

A Week with Winston

It's been three months since we said goodbye to Sophie and I've got to say it's been quiet. Too quiet. She was the instigator with the other two dogs. She ran in the backyard with Cody. She and Chance were best buds too, he thought she was his girlfriend (if you know what I mean). So for these past three months we've had two moping, depressed dogs. They just lay around and sleep all day.

So I started telling Sean we needed a puppy. The conversations started like this:

Me: "I think we might need a puppy around here."

Sean: "No way, no how. There will be no more dogs, two is plenty."

Me: "Come on Sean, it would be fun! The kids would love it, it would liven up the other dogs."

Sean: "It's so calm around here, I like calm."

Me: :(

So it went on like this for about a month. I'd keep inserting a puppy into conversations, wearing him down. It finally worked. It took a lot of convincing but finally I got a "if it would make you happy, then get a puppy." I have the best husband ever!

So I signed up for all the local puppy pages on facebook and looked up breeders in the area. Finally, two weeks ago a local lady posted a litter of Boston Terrier pups on facebook and I fell in love. I've always had a soft spot for Boston Terriers. Not sure where it comes from as I've never known anyone with that breed. But I've always loved their squished noses and compact little bodies. They are the perfect size, right around 20 pounds.

So last Sunday I took my Mom and picked out a puppy. Meet Winston, the eight week old terror.




He is a five pound ball of energy. He runs and runs around the house with a kids sock in his mouth and then crashes and sleeps upside down for 2 hours.


I love photographing him when he's sleeping. It's the only time he's still. Every picture I have of him awake is blurry, he's constantly in motion.




Potty training is easier than I thought it would be. He does pretty good about holding it in his kennel at night and when I have an errand to run. Problem is when I do take him outside he's so distracted by everything outdoors that he forgets to potty. There are cats to chase and leaves to eat. The wood chips around the trees are a constant source of enjoyment as are the chickens. He doesn't know what to make of the chickens yet.

I'd like to say that he's made friends with Chance and Cody but they can't stand him. He chews on Cody's tail and chases Chance around the house. They've given him plenty of warning barks and snaps but he's not getting the drift. I hope time will help their relationship.

Here is a video of the night they all met. Chance was pretty playful that night. Since then, not so much.

2 comments:

John and Julie said...

What a great bit of story telling!

Granny Randi said...

OMG, putting Hilde into the mix should be interesting! Can't wait to meet Winston!