Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week from today

A week from today I'll be running my very first half marathon. That's 13.1 miles. The training has been going ok. It was severely derailed early on with the sprained ankle but it's been ramping up over the past several weeks. I was supposed to do a long run last weekend (12 miles) but I only got 8 done due to the 400 mph winds we were having. I kid you not, I would open up my mouth and the wind would blow out my cheeks like I was in a wind tunnel. I felt like a football player running into one of those padded sleds. It was horrible. So technically I never got in the really long run...which is worrisome. But I'll be fine. I've done several 7+ milers and today's 5 mile run was awesome with a 9:40 average mile ( a good time for me). I don't think I'll die.

I'm going to share with you a runners secret which I've just discovered. They are called energy gels. Little packages of condensed calories and electrolytes that you suck down 15 minutes before running and 45 minutes into the run. I went to our local sporting goods store and picked up several to experiment with. I got the GU Energy gels and two packages of the Honey Stinger energy chews.  The GU Energy gel is like chocolate frosting with caffeine. So yum! I tried the double espresso flavor (not a coffee drinker but still good) before today's run and was so jittery (but in a good way) when I got out of the car that I think I could have did the run doing cart wheels. It was awesome. Oh and the energy chews are like candy that you eat every 10 minutes or so. I'm hypoglycemic so these little jewels will work at keeping the old blood sugars level. I'm so happy I discovered this stuff, it will make this race doable.

So anyways, send good vibes next Sunday morning at 7:30...I'm going to need them. 

1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

You're amazing, Mandy! You will do great!