Monday, June 3, 2024

Seeds

 I really do love growing things. It's my passion at the moment and the growing season is my favorite time of the year. Winter proves to be difficult lately. I missed growing for the 6 months of the year that were to cold to grow in. Then I found out how fun growing stuff indoors was! Last fall I bought some rather expensive streaked hosta seeds online from several growers. I thought if I purchased from many different growers I'd have a good chance of ending up with some pretty seedlings. Each packet of seeds was about $20-30, which turned out to be around a buck a seed. I'd put a packet in each solo cup and see what came up. 



Once the cup got too full I'd sit in the basement and pull all the seedlings out and separate them into their own cup. I tried to only keep the streaked and or unique leafed seedlings since there were literally hundreds of them. 



They eventually took up most of the floor in the basement under grow lights near the end of winter. Once the weather got nice they started their move outside but whenever the weather got cold at night I'd bring them all inside in our entryway and then back outside the next day. It was a labor of love. I ended up with some real unique beauties! I'm looking forward to another winter of basement growing.





No comments: