Monday, September 24, 2018

Adventures in Goating

Is goating a word? Not sure, but goats have been a large part of my life lately. They have kept me super busy for the past month and a half. I blogged about sweet little Tag, whom we rescued from the meat pens at the county fair. He's been with us for almost two months and it's been a busy, crazy two months. He brought home with him some respiratory disease that he picked up from the fair no doubt. He got a snotty nose and was pretty depressed. It was passed on to Coco my 7 year old doe who was down and wouldn't get up. The vet gave us an antibiotic shot for each and they improved. Then the next our old goat Dym went down and there was no saving her. I don't *think* she went down because of the respiratory thing but I don't know. I think it was lousy timing. The vet came out and put her to sleep. She was 13 and had a good life. Definitely the coolest goat I've ever had, such a sweet soul. I miss her a lot.


Dym and Tag were nearly twins and I like to think he was sent to me to ease the pain of loosing her.  :( After Dym was gone that left Tag in the pen with Dym's two kids, Coco and Heston. They were not nice to sweet little Tag. They put him in his place at the bottom of the totem pole. It made me sad every time I saw them head butting him or chaisng him. So I contacted his old owners, the people that raised him, and asked if they had any doe kids they would sell me. They ecstatically said "Yes!".

Wesley, Greta and I went to their farm (which was awesome by the way) where we went into a building that housed all of their kids. There had to be 30 cute little baby goats. She brought us into a pen with about 7 kids that she selected for us to choose from. It was so hard to pick one! I want a certain one and Greta was partial to another one. So, naturally, we bought both of them. Meet Daphne and Lily. Tag grew up with them and is so happy to have a pair of goats his own size to grow up with.






2 comments:

Johnboy said...

I love the picture with the goats in the back of the SUV!

Granny Randi said...

The kids and the kids are lucky to have each other!