Monday, April 30, 2018

Eggs, Potatos, Bunnies and more

My kids really like YouTube. Greta gets up early most days and parks herself and her blanket on the computer chair and watches videos on YouTube. Most of the videos are about 5 minute crafts, or toy reviews. But recently she's been looking at science stuff. Slime making and such. She ran across a clip of someone putting an egg in a cup of vinegar. After 24 hours it will dissolve the hard shell leaving the intact membrane and egg. So of course she did this and 24 hours later she had this very cool shell-less egg. She played with it for several minutes before it popped all over the table. 



I just celebrated my three year vegan anniversary. Technically I should say "plant based" but we'll say vegan to make things easier. Do you know the difference between plant based and vegan? You go plant based for your health, and you go vegan for the animals. I love animals but I'm doing this for my health. I'm really enjoying it! It's so nice to find something that works for me, and it's carb heavy. I love carbs! My go to snack when I'm out running errands is a baked potato from Wendy's with several mustard packets and pepper. It's so good and healthy and fills me up for hours. I follow Dr. McDougall's program, here is a easy color picture book in case you're interested: LINK




My kids are not 100% plant based but eat a lot of plant based meals. They often ask for junk food and I give in some times. Other times I try to find healthier options for the junk food they crave. I was given a silicone donut baking tray for Christmas (thanks Mom & Dad) and finally got around to trying it out. I found an oil free vegan donut recipe and baked them in the oven. They turned out so delicious! The kids devoured them.




We've been trying to get Tuttles out of her cage more often lately. She's not exactly a pleasant rabbit, often trying to literally bite the hand that feeds her. Once out of her cage she's nice and calms down. She's litter box trained in her cage but tends to lose that knowledge when running around Greta's room. But we're trying. Greta sure loves getting her out.



Sean has been busy with many projects lately. The skid steer has had an energy drain since we bought it. It needs to be hooked up to a trickle charger to keep the battery charged and Sean thought it was time to fix it. He took the batteries out and put in new cables. The bays that the batteries sit in were rusted and falling apart so he welded up new ones. It was quite the project taking two weekends. He's getting better and better at welding, soon he'll be at his fathers level. The skid steer is all back in working order and starts right up without the trickle charger which is nice.


2 comments:

John and Julie said...

Mom wants the donuts recipe please...

Granny Randi said...

I want some donuts and maybe the recipe!

That's so cool that Greta is excited about science. Please tell her that I love YouTube, also. I have learned so much from the videos!

Miss and love you all.