Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Odds and Ends

There are all sorts of little things that I'd like to blog about but they were too little to have their own post, so here is a compilation.

-The kids like to randomly ask Sean to print something out of the 3D printer. It's about once every couple of months and this time they found a hulked out Minecraft Creeper off of thingiverse.com....because doesn't every kid need a hulked out creeper?





-So you know we have chickens. They used to be free range chickens until the neighbors dog figured out that they tasted good. We lost one (first one to be eaten by a predator in seven years) so they are now cooped up. I feel bad for them but that dog is sniffing around way too often for them to be out. Anyways, Greta is my egg collector. She'll run out each night and bring in the eggs. I decided to peek in the nest boxes the other day to discover she's been slacking on her job. We don't eat many eggs, maybe a dozen every 2-3 weeks, so it wasn't like I was noticing. I've decided to take over the egg collecting job and start donating them to the church's food pantry so they don't go to waste. Don't worry we threw out all of these eggs since we didn't know how old they were.


-Wesley did Acolyte training yesterday at the church. He learned how to be one of the kids that lights the candles during the service. This tradition was started back before electricity when churches were very dark. The acolyte was the person that brought light into the dark church and lit all the candles. I think he's pretty excited.


-I made sushi for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I've always liked sushi and was afraid I'd have to give it up once giving up meat. I can't eat the prepared stuff because they like to hide avocado in it which gives me a tummy ache. So after a little research and purchasing a few items I set out to make some. It was delicious (if I do say so myself). I always thought the rice in sushi was just white rice, but it's actually seasoned with rice vinegar, sugar and salt. I could just eat the sushi rice plain (and do often). Greta was eyeing me while I made it the other day and I mentioned to her that she used to like sushi when she was little. She was surprised and asked to try it, turns out she still likes it and she's a picky little eater. Greta now asks for it once a week and we pig out on veggie sushi together.


-It's been such a mild winter. A few weeks ago we were forecasted to have some bad ice storms. The state braced for power outages that never came. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as predicted. There was some ice but it lasted only a few hours before melting off. Ever since we've been enjoying some unseasonably high temperatures. 70+ degrees in February, I'll take it!




-No random post is complete without a picture of our derpy little dog sleeping upside down wearing his food dish as a hat. What a clown!


2 comments:

Johnboy said...

Back in the day I was an altar boy who lit the candles. That was always fun. Glad to see Wesley is doing that. The Sushi looks good! The dog looks like he is wearing an aluminum hat...

Granny Randi said...

Enjoyed your little tidbits. Especially that picture of Winston...what a clown!