Monday, May 23, 2016

Katy Trail

This weekend Wesley and I packed up the car, loaded bikes on the bike rack, and headed out to join my family for a fun weekend of bike riding. My Dad has been telling me about the Katy Trail for some time now and we finally scheduled a weekend where nearly all of us could gather together and ride a portion of it. Sean stayed home with Greta who is still on training wheels and wouldn't be able to manage riding 20+ miles.

I took Wesley out of school early on Friday and we drove for quite some time to get to New Franklin, Missouri. We found the campsite where my parents had already set up their Airstream and my sister had set up a large tent.

My Dads cousin Phillip and his wife Wendy joined us as well.

I haven't tent camped in decades. It was fun.

My Dad aka The Griddle Master.


We woke up Saturday morning to a brisk 48 degrees and my Dad made a breakfast of champions for everyone. After that we all got on our bikes and set out for Rocheport which was 10 miles away. It was a beautiful day for a bike ride. The Katy Trail is an old railway line so the path is nice and flat, no huge hills which is great for somebody like me who hasn't been on a long bike ride.



In Rocheport we found a lovely outdoor restaurant up on a bluff. There was a winding, forested path up the hill to get there which was quite beautiful and lush. I had a delicious lunch of hummus, veggies, pita bread and soft pretzels while overlooking the Missouri river. 





After lunch we headed back to the campground. In total it was 24 miles on a bike. Wesley did awesome! My knee started acting up on the way back but that was bound to happen with my bum knees. It was a great experience and perhaps we'll do it again some day. Thanks for the invite Pops!

Exploring an old abandoned explosives storage site.

Our return trip was fueled by Twizzlers.

My parents on their recumbent bikes.

Wesley and I

Wesley about 19 miles into the experience.

2 comments:

John and Julie said...

Nice pictures! Thanks for making such fun memories...

Granny Randi said...

I'm proud of you and Wesley...24 miles! You both are ready to ride with Jeremy! The Michelson Trail in the Black Hills is an old railroad bed, too. I only made a few miles, but it's not flat!