Sunday, May 31, 2015

Team Work

Well I'm pretty proud of myself today. You see yesterday Wesley attended a birthday party for a fellow 2nd grader at a skating rink. All the kids put on their skates and proceeded to stumble their way onto the rink where they promptly fell on their faces one after another. It didn't instill a lot of confidence in me, after all I haven't donned skates in nearly 25 years. But that didn't stop me! I went skating yesterday, and I liked it. Didn't even fall once. Even though Wesley tried to make me fall on several occasions. I'm thinking we are going to have family skating weekends this summer. We'll see how the other half of the family does on skates.



The kids and I were back at the garden this morning seeing what has drowned and what will make it. I noticed my big pile of manure/mulch was overgrown with Johnson grass and it was getting pretty tall. When it gets to a certain height it produces these massive seed heads that distribute the dreaded seeds all over my garden. Johnson grass in my garden nemesis. It makes these long tubers underground that send up shoots of  thick bladed grass. Best way to get rid of it is to dig up the tubers which is incredibly time consuming and work intensive. I told the kids all about this as we looked at the tall weeds on the mulch pile (that I can't mow). Wesley said he'll pull the weeds so I took them over and showed them how to grasp it at the base and pull the whole thing out. So for the next hour he and his sister pulled weeds together. They both grabbed the weed and pulled on the count of three. It was hilarious to watch. They did great! I told them I'd pay them a nickle for each weed bunch. They earned $2.50 each. Such helpers!



2 comments:

John and Julie said...

This member of the family used to be a pretty good ice skater.

Tell the kids they can earn money when they visit the cottage helping split and stack firewood for winter.

Granny Randi said...

I loved to roller skate when I was a kid! Had my skate key tied around my neck!

I'll pay the kids 10 cents a weed to help me!